Shopify Theme Kit
Theme Kit is a command line tool for shopify themes. Download the application and with a tiny bit of setup you’re off to the theme creation races.
Using Theme Kit will enable you to
- Upload Themes to Multiple Environments
- Fast Uploads and Downloads
- Watch for local changes and upload automatically to Shopify
- Works on Windows, Linux and macOS
Linux & macOS Automatic Installation
If you are on macOS or Linux, you can use the following installation script to automatically download and install the latest Theme Kit for you.
curl -s https://shopify.github.io/themekit/scripts/install.py | sudo python
macOS Homebrew Installation
If you have homebrew installed you can install Theme Kit by running the following commands.
brew tap shopify/shopify brew install themekit
Windows Chocolatey Installation
If you have chocolatey installed you can install themekit by running the following commands.
choco install themekit
There is a package available for install on the AUR
Linux & macOS
- Download the themekit binary that works for your system.
- Compare checksums of the binary by running
- Put the binary on your path. We recommend somewhere like
- Ensure that it works as expected by running
- Create a folder inside
- Download themekit (below) and copy the extracted program into
C:\Program Files\Theme Kit
- You will then need to add
C:\Program Files\Theme Kitto your
PATHenvironment variable. You can find really in-depth instructions here
- To verify that Theme Kit has been installed, open
cmd.exeand type in
Build from source
Please refer to the contributing docs
Get API Access
You will need to set up an API key to add to our configuration and create a connection between your store and Theme Kit. The API key allows Theme Kit to talk to and access your store, as well as its theme files.
To do so, log into the Shopify store, and create a private app. In the Shopify
Admin, go to Apps and click on
Manage private apps. From there, click
Create a new private app, to create your private app. Fill out the information at the top
and set the permissions of Theme templates and theme assets to have Read and write
Save and you will be presented with the next screen. In it you will
see your access credentials. Please copy the password. You will need it later.
Create a new theme.
If you are starting from scratch and want to get a quick start, run the following:
theme new --password=[your-password] --store=[your-store.myshopify.com] --name=[theme name]
- generate a basic theme template locally
- create a theme on shopify
- upload the new files to shopify
- Create/update your config file with the configuration for your new theme.
Configure an existing theme.
To connect an existing theme, you need the theme’s ID number. The easiest way to get your theme’s ID number is to use the get command like this:
theme get --list -p=[your-password] -s=[you-store.myshopify.com]
Then once you have noted your theme ID, run the following command to generate a config and download the theme from shopify:
theme get -p=[your-password] -s=[you-store.myshopify.com] -t=[your-theme-id]